I am often amazed by the reckless driving I see on my way into to the office. So many accidents could be easily avoided. We handle the “after” effects in our business every day…
So, I thought I’d send you a quick “reminder” this month. PLEASE … read through this short list of safety reminders. It won’t take long, and it could save your life!
We drive so much it becomes sub-conscious. So, let these safety reminders dwell in your sub-conscious, too…
- Back off. Odds are, if you can clearly read the bumper stickers on the car in front while moving- you’re too close!
I wish I had the statistic of how many car accidents are rear-ending collisions. It’s a lot. I realize in heavy traffic it’s sometimes impossible to keep a safe distance between you and the car in front. But try.
A safe distance is determined by a 2 second gap – that is, when the driver in front of you passes a road marker, you shouldn’t get there for 2 seconds. That means the faster you’re going, the bigger the gap between you and the driver in front should be.
- Slow down. I know its cliché, but speed kills. It really does. Plus, speeding tickets are expensive. And if an insurance carrier finds out about it – and they do check – you could get a rate increase, too.
- Put on that seatbelt. Why fight the odds? Statistics prove that seatbelts save lives. Not to mention in most states being caught without your seatbelt on means a hefty fine. Be safe – put it on!
- Are you too close to the airbag? Make sure you’re more than 10 inches from the steering wheel. If you’re too close, an inflating airbag could hurt or kill you.
- Pay attention to road conditions … and slow down! If you lose control of your vehicle on a wet road, you might blame the road, but the cops and the insurance company won’t. They’ll blame you! Remember, you’re responsible for controlling the car you’re driving in ALL conditions.
- Check all around before changing lanes. Never assume another car isn’t there. Look. It only takes a few seconds for a car to move into a dangerous position.
Of course, there are tons of safe driving tips, these are just the top ones…hope this short list sticks in your sub-conscious mind and keeps you safe.
From everyone here at Hejny Insurance Agency, we thank you for your business and may the roads you travel always be safe ones!